Retirees with Benefits
Penn State is excited to announce that retirees can now access their Penn State email via Penn State’s Microsoft Outlook Online. You can use your email, calendar, and more to stay in touch with former colleagues, students, friends, and family.
We’ve created this resource page to help answer any questions you may have around accessing your email and calendar.
How do I check my email?
Outlook Online is a web-based version of Office 365’s Outlook system. It is available to anyone with an account on our email service and allows you to easily access your email and calendar on the web. Please use the latest versions of Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome, Firefox, or Apple Safari.
- Open your web browser and visit https://outlook.office.com
- Enter your Penn State Access Account user ID and password (ex. abc123)
- If this is your first time logging in, you will be prompted to set your time zone. Choose your appropriate time zone from the list, and then select “OK.”
- You should now be able to see your mailbox.
Note: To ensure continued access to your email, you must log in and check your email at least once every 365 days.
The Migration Process
The migration process to Outlook Online will vary depending on your original email client.
If you are:
Currently using Webmail – Your email will be migrated from Webmail to Office 365 Outlook via a migration tool.
Currently using UCS – Your email, calendar, and contacts will be migrated to Office 365 Outlook via a migration tool.
Currently using an email client such as Thunderbird or Eudora (or similar) – After migration, all new emails will be delivered to Outlook Online and can be accessed via the methods outlined above. We would recommend you keep pre-migration emails in the email client you are currently using to maintain an archive or storage as those emails exist on your computer and will not be migrated to Outlook Online.
Please review the Retiree Migration Checklist below to see what, if any, actions may be required on your part before, during, and after migration. Once your migration has completed, you will receive a confirmation email in your new Office 365 Outlook mailbox.
Retiree Migration Checklist for Outlook Online
- Training Opportunities: View available training resources on the training page.
- Signature: Save your signature content to easily recreate it.
- Email Rules and Filters (UCS Migrations Only): Document all rules or filters you use in your email and want to continue using.
- Calendar Subscriptions and Sharing: Make a note of any calendars you subscribe to along with who your calendar is shared with and any delegated access.
- Web Browser: Upgrade your web browser(s) to the latest version to smoothly run Microsoft Outlook Online.
- UCS Briefcase (UCS Migrations Only): If you have data stored or shared with others in the briefcase function on UCS, download those files and save them in a separate location.
- Migration Timeline: You will be notified when your migration begins and ends via email. You can continue to use your devices throughout the migration process and start using Outlook Online as soon as you are given access. Please do not move messages or folders until after migration has completed.
- Getting Email Online: Outlook Online will be available immediately once your account has been migrated. This means that at approximately 5:00 p.m. on your migration day, you will receive new emails and calendar event invites through your new email account. Those can be accessed at outlook.office.com. As the migration continues, you will see your old emails, folders, calendar entries, and contacts begin to appear in Outlook.
- Receiving Email in Outlook: Your email address will automatically be forwarded to Outlook Online from your previous email account.
- Migration: You will receive a confirmation email in your new email when your migration is complete.
- Language and Time Zone: Learn how to change your language and time zone as needed.
- Sharing Calendar: Re-share your calendar with colleagues, or assign delegate access.
- Recreate Calendar: Follow the steps to recreate your calendar, tasks, and assign any colors or categories you previously had.
- Reorganize Email: Learn how to recreate rules or filters to help organize your email. If you are not seeing all of your messages, select the arrow to the left of the folder.
- Local Mail Application: If you would like, set up your device’s local mail application to receive email through Outlook Online
- Adjust Visual Contrast: You can personalize your email display by changing the background theme, including adjusting for higher contrast.
- Common Questions Post-Migration: To assist with your transition, please reference frequently asked questions after migration.
Please note: Users will be notified if future changes to Penn State email policy affect their account.
Have questions or need help?
Contact the IT Service Desk by submitting an online help request at service.psu.edu, by calling (814) 865-4357, or via the 24-hour chat available at it.psu.edu/get-support.