Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Where can I learn more about Microsoft Teams?

A: Microsoft Support offers how-to guides, interactive demos, and videos at support.microsoft.com/en-us/teams.

Q: What is the difference between Teams Phone and Teams-to-Teams Calling?

A: Microsoft Teams Phone allows you to make and receive external calls. Microsoft Teams-to-Teams Calling has convenient built-in features that enable you to search for a Teams contact, start a chat, and begin a voice or video call.

Q: Where can I learn more about the Telephony Transformation Project?

A: Visit ​it.psu.edu/telephony-transformation-project/ for more information.

Q: How can Local IT learn more about tethering processes, phone assignments, and other technical information?

A: If you are a Local IT Director or technical migration partner, please visit the FAQs folder located in the General channel in the Telephony Transformation Project Teams space for more information.

Microsoft Teams

Q: Who do I contact with questions about Teams Phone and/or Teams-to-Teams Calling?

A: If you have questions or want to share feedback, please contact your local IT department or telephony@psu.edu.

Q: What does it cost to use Microsoft Teams Phone or Teams-to-Teams calling? 

A: Prices as of December 2023.

Individual Users

Teams to Teams
No fees for faculty, staff, or tech service employees

Teams Phone:
The following monthly fees will be charged to a departmental budget for each faculty, staff, and tech service employee using this version of Teams for telephony needs:
Phone Line/Number Fee: $5.85
Per Port: $.98/month only if a user has a AudioCodes handset (Cisco devices made Teams compatible are not permitted for individual usage)

Common Area Phones (hallways, classrooms, suites, labs, conference rooms, etc.)

Cisco & AudioCodes handsets:
Note: Rental fees for Cisco handsets will no longer be assessed after it is made Teams compatible. There is a one-time fee to make the Cisco handset Teams compatible of approximately $42 per handset.

Phone Line/Number Fee: $5.85
Per Port: $.98/month
Teams Common Area Phone License: $32.52/annually (pro-rated based on July renewal date)

Q: Can I call internationally with Teams Phone?

A: If you were previously able to make an international call, your settings will remain. To make an international call, add “011” to the dial string for the international number you wish to call. Input the number you want to call with no spaces into the dial pad of your Teams Mobile or Desktop app. If you were not previously set up to make international calls, you can submit a Telephony Service Request form.

Q: Will I still have a direct phone number?

A: If you migrate to Teams Phone, you will have a direct phone number. If you migrate to Teams-to-Teams Calling, you will not have a phone number (direct or shared). Local IT will work with you and your manager to determine your migration details.

Q: Do I need to dial (8 + 1) before dialing out?

A: You don’t need to dial 8 + 1 before dialing external numbers from Teams. However, for any first-time calls to an external number, you will need to dial the full number (area code and number). Once you have called a number, it will show up in your call log, and you can simply select it from the call log to call it again or save it as a contact for 1-click dialing in the future.

Q: Can I utilize 5-digit dialing with Teams Phone?

A: No, Teams Phone dials people rather than phone numbers for university contacts. You can search for people in the directory or utilize recent contacts to dial quickly.

Q: Do contacts outside of Penn State need Microsoft Teams to call me?

A: External contacts will be able to dial your phone number the same way they always have and do not need Teams to call you.

Q: When can I migrate to Teams Phone or Teams-to-Teams Calling?

A: Currently, individual requests are not available. The University-wide transition to the new telephony platform will work with key contacts and take a unit-by-unit approach to evaluate all needs carefully. Talk with your local IT department to express interest and learn about any scheduled migration dates.

Q: What devices are compatible with Teams Phone and Teams-to-Teams Calling?

A: No external devices are necessary, but they can provide additional confidentiality and accessibility. Any headphones, speakers, or wireless earbuds that can be successfully connected to devices will work with Teams Phone and Teams-to-Teams Calling . While video is not needed for phone calls, having a webcam allows you to switch from audio-only calls to video calls. Penn State has tested and can recommend several Microsoft Teams compatible devices for Desk, Common Area or Conference Room. 

Q: Can I use WiFi on my AudioCodes handset?

A: While WiFi connectivity is technically possible with AudioCodes Handsets, we advise against relying on it for optimal performance. Wired connections provide a more stable and reliable experience, ensuring the highest quality of services.

Q: How do I know if I have Teams Phone?

A: If you see a dial pad under the “call” section of Microsoft Teams, your account has an associated University designated phone number, and Teams Phone has been activated. If you do not see a dial pad, you do not currently have Teams Phone but are still able to utilize Teams-to-Teams Calling.

Q: Can our Cisco Contact Center service use Microsoft Teams?

A:  Unfortunately, the University’s Cisco Finesse Contact Center service is incompatible with Microsoft Teams.

Q: Can I use my Teams Phone camera on an off-campus (external) phone call?

A: The video capability is unavailable with Teams Phone, but fully functional video calling with University contacts can be done through Teams Calling.

General Telephony

Q: Will I still have to request a phone line for a new employee?

A: All new employees will have access to Teams-to-Teams Calling without having a University designated phone number. If the new employee needs access to a Microsoft phone, a new phone number must be requested through the “Penn State Telephony Service Request” form in Service Now.  Effective March 1, 2024, the standard phone service offered will be Microsoft Teams Phone or Teams-to-Teams.

Q: Can my University phone number be setup in MFA if I move to Teams Phone? 

A: Yes, if you retained a University phone number that can make and receive external calls (Teams Phone).

Q: How do I update my 2FA devices?

A: Go to your Account Management dashboard (Penn State login required) if you previously used your Cisco device for Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) or Multifactor Authentication (MFA).

Q: Do I need to use E911 with Teams Phone or Teams-to-Teams Calling?

A: If you use Teams Phone with a University-provided phone number, you have the capability to dial 9-1-1 for emergencies; therefore, to comply with federal regulations your location services has been enabled through Microsoft Teams. Information on setting up your location can be found through Microsoft Support. 

If you only use Teams Calling for communicating with colleagues, you do not need your location services enabled. 

If you previously used MyE911 location-tracking software on your desktop, laptop, and tablet devices, it can be removed after your migration to Teams Phone/Teams-to-Teams Calling is complete

Q: Can I remove my information from the University directory?

A: If you would like to place a confidentiality hold on your contact information, please review the related Penn State Knowledge Base article and then contact Penn State HR Shared Services.

Q: What happens to my Cisco handset?

A: Your local IT department will collect your Cisco handset after your area migrates. Handsets may be collected individually or in groups, depending on your local IT department’s storage and staffing.

Effective February 9, 2024

Desk/Common Area Phones

• University Park: Cisco phones that are not being re-purposed/flashed will be picked up and sent to the ENCS Field Team
  • All Other Locations: Cisco phones that are not being re-purposed/flashed can be sent to salvage via your standard salvage process
  • Lost Handset Fees will not be assessed on Cisco Desk phones

Conference Phones​

• All Other Locations: ENCS will provide a shipping label for Cisco Conference phones that are not being re-purposed/flashed 
  • Lost Handset Fees will still apply for Conference phones if they are not repurposed or returned to the Inventory Team

Accessibility

Q: Is Microsoft Teams accessible?

A: Yes. Microsoft Support is committed to ensuring their products and services are designed for everyone. Additional resources and information about Microsoft’s accessibility tools can be found via the Accessibility Help and Learning Portal.

Q: What resources are available for screen readers and other assistive technology users?

A: Keyboard users can review the Microsoft Teams Accessibility Commitment, which contains screen reader support, keyboard shortcuts, and more. People with vision impairments or other disabilities can also consult the Teams training video for screen readers and Microsoft’s Accessibility Learning Webinar Series.

Q: How can I ensure my Microsoft Teams meetings, calls, and messages are accessible?

A: To be more inclusive, follow this step-by-step accessibility guide on how to properly navigate Teams’ built-in features and engage people with different disabilities.

Have questions or need help?

Contact an IT Service Desk by submitting an online help request.